Gallery

Monday, January 23, 2012

Needle Felted Whooping Crane

Just finished this Whooping Crane. I'm pleased with the final piece. It stands 11 1/2 inches tall. The legs are  wire covered with black wool roving and there is a wire inside the neck so his head may be repositioned. He has black bead eyes- otherwise he is entirely wool. I have been working on him for the past three weeks- just on Sundays. I've started reserving my Sundays for needle felting- I hope if I keep up that schedule I should be able to make quite a few creatures. This crane was fun to make but it did offer its share of challenges. The legs in particular- I used #18 wire- first I wasn't going to cover it but in the end I wrapped it with wool and secured the wool with thread. I particularly like the head- the beak is a mixture of different colors. I'm considering making him a partner poised a bit differently. If I do I will place them both on a more permanent stand. But for now- he is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment