Gallery

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Needle Felted Elephant

I kept track of my time on this one- 19 hours for the adult elephant! Yikes! Thank goodness I like the results! I did not use an armature in the legs but did run a wire through the trunk so it can be repositioned. The tusks are made of wool that I dipped in clear nail polish to harden them. The eyes are black glass beads. The adult elephant is 5 inches tall and the baby is a mere 2 inches tall not including the raised trunk. The wool is a combination of different shades of grey with a touch of white mixed in. I covered grey felt with wool for the ears so they would not become thick. It worked out well.



I'm on vacation next week so I plan on working on another Vintage Spirit bottle doll. I'm leaning towards an art deco style but I never really know how it will turn out until I get into the construction. The one thing that I do know is that it will be fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oooo an elephant, cool! Inserting pipe cleaners into their trunks was a good idea. Having the baby looking up gives the scene a lot more character.

    ReplyDelete