Gallery

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Facing Disasters Head On

Today nothing seems to be working out well. Actually it started yesterday. I spent hours needle sculpting a head. Did I say HOURS?! Only to have it run (the overlay is a nylon blend), I was working on the mouth, the last feature of course. Completely ruined! So my only option was to take off the entire outer layer and start over. I did start over, only to face a similar problem when I was once again hours into the process. So last night after almost two full days trying to get a face completed, I took off  the two attempted overlays and shut off the lights to my studio reminding myself that "This is suppose to be fun!"
Today I start all over. Sew a new overlay and begin needle sculpting. This time I used brand new needles in my machine and hand-needles. I completed one overlay then began to color in the facial features. Once again nothing seems to go well. Finally I decide to stop adding insult to injury and paint over a layer of textile medium to set the colors. Of course somewhere a bit of black wasn't completely dry or something but as I brush on the medium I see a streak of black form across the cheek. I rub it out the best I can and decide I will have to start over once again. Then I change my mind, again telling myself "This is suppose to be fun!" and try a second layer of colors over the first. That seems to take care of the streaky problem but the eyes begin to get bit strange looking. So I took a few pictures- usually I can see mistakes better in a picture. Now I'm not sure what I should do. I think the best thing would be to wait until tomorrow and look at it again with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment