Gallery

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vintage Spirits

Spring vacation week just started- wonderful! Usually I spend the entire April vacation week cleaning out my flower garden but this year I have very little left to clean out because of the extremely warm weather we have been having this spring I was able to start working outside weeks ago. That means I have lots of extra time this week to work on new dolls! Yeah!

I have been given three bottles from three different friends that I am determined to turn into three distinct characters this week. Since I have already made the heads (a very time consuming process for me)  I may actually reach this goal by the end of my vacation. The first bottle I have had since the winter- cobalt blue -I thought I was going to use this one last February but made Birdie instead using a green bottle. I received it from a fellow Textile Tart doll maker.  I removed the label from this bottle replacing it with a vintage label that reminds me of France. I am going to create Marie Antoinette from this bottle.  The second bottle I just received two weeks ago from another Textile Tart. She thought I would like it because of the deer head that is attached to it. She was right- I love this bottle! I am going to make a huntress. And finally, a friend from school gave me the other cobalt blue bottle with the Cupcake label. What a great theme! I will use vintage fabric and jewelry pieces on these dolls so they can truly become Vintage Spirits #6, 7, and 8.





I will try to blog the creations a bit as I go along. I prepared the bottle necks by attaching wooden dowels. I used a longer dowel on the shorter bottle to raise the doll up a bit more. Then I sewed the torsos. They have not been stuffed yet nor have the breasts been sculpted. I just placed the heads on top- I won't actually sew them on until the body costuming is completely finished. Setting them up this way at the beginning helps me visualize possible costuming before I start designing.

Marie Antoinette, The Huntress, and Cupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment