Gallery

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Tolkien Dwarf #2: Gloin



Second figure finished- maybe. I might add a sword or small axe to his left hand or I might not. I'm going to let him be for a while. I find that I need to leave a piece for a while, then look at it again with fresh eyes to decide if it is actually finished or needs improvements.
Anyway, here he is.




 The biggest challenge with little Gloin was his shield. It is needle felted with the addition of the sterling silver chains and the small plastic center cap. The center cap helps it keep its shape and gives him something to grasp. I reinforced his arm with a metal hook that the cap loops onto inside his hand. That way it can be removed but won't be constantly falling off every time he is moved. 


His jacket is machine embroidered wool fabric. His boots are wonderful but unfortunately do not photograph well. They are fur- very fashion forward for a dwarf. He also has glass eyes-piercing blue ones.


Two down, one to go!

 I certainly don't want to give the impression that I can make these figures in one day! Ha! Not even close! I know there will be three figures because I made the three heads first. The heads took me nearly a day each, but they do define the characters so as I am making them I am also thinking of who this character will be. Once I had the heads made, then I made three bodies and attached the three heads to the bodies (unclothed). Finally time to have the fun of  creating clothes and accessories. It takes me about a day, sometimes two, to clothe and accessorize the figures. So it is a slow process, but lots of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment