Gallery

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Chronicles of Dumbledore Begin


Today I am starting this blog which will chronicle the creation of Dumbledore, a literary figure from the Harry Potter books. My first step when making any fabric figure is to determine the size and pose of the final piece. This figure will be about 19 inches tall. This character wears glasses which I have already purchased so that restricts my decision concerning size: the glasses must fit the face...the face must fit the figure. He will be standing holding his wand in his right hand which will be down by his side. His left arm will be bent with his hand gesturing forward.

    Next I draw the different body parts on freezer paper ( I use an artist’s wooden model to help with proportions); cut them out, then iron them wax side down on to white cotton fabric. Freezer paper will adhere to the fabric until it is sewn then can be peeled off easily. Once sewn I clip the inner/outer curves and turn the pieces right side out. Hemostats help with the turning of such small pieces. When turning the fingers I use little brass tubes; slipping a hollow tube inside the finger to hold it erect and sliding the fabric over a smaller solid tube that is held above and outside the finger. Difficult to describe, but the fingers end up turned out sitting inside the unturned arm. Now it really sounds confusing..

    The picture shows arms, legs, and torso- the head is obviously missing. I am somewhat intimidated by the head so I have decided to do it last, that way I can stress out about it longer. Stupid decision, but none the less mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment